Thursday, April 26, 2012

Industrial Modern FUN

After a night full of working (mostly Steve) until 2am, we wrapped up the shelving unit! It looks 1000x better than I even imagined and I couldn't be any more thrilled with it. My incredible husband amazes me with his skills! He always works so hard to see my ideas and designs come to fruition. What a guy!

(Now, pardon the photos. I am a day or so away from being able to use my computer and Lightroom again, but for now I had to shoot in jpeg and do zero editing. So these are all straight out of the 'ol camera.)

Without further ado, here is our industrial/mid-century modern work of art. VOILA!

Don't mind the TV cords. Soon to be moved behind the TV.

Are you loving the gray wall as much as I am?? Again, we chose Sherwin Williams Grayish and it is perfect. Bright and light, with a touch of warmth, and it contrasts nicely with the white trim. It is a smidge off in color here, sorry, again, no editing. It is showing a bit greenish in the top two photos, but it is more warm and ZERO green in real life.

In terms of the styling, I am really enjoying how it is coming together. I am trying to blend loads of texture and keep everything earthy in color. Notice glass, metal, leather, lambskin, soft blankets, mirrors, paper, greenery, wicker, wire.

A bunch of the pieces I have found recently while antique shopping, some of them we've made or repurposed, and a couple of items we already had. I still have a fantastic Kodak camera from the '50s on the way from Ebay, as well as a really cool metal airplane. Other than that, this is it.

LOVE these '50s books I picked up last weekend for a buck or two a piece (Actually, the blue one is more recent, but looks super modern to me). Talk about great titles too!! "Fortune Is A Woman". Truer words were never spoken. ;) I painted that little wooden airplane that I snagged for $1.

Steve welded this nifty piece of artwork for me. Totally cool.

I am diggin' the mixture of soft/cushy with the wicker and metal and wood. Again, sticking with earth tones.
I picked up those wicker boxes at Michael's (last night actually) for 40% off plus 20% off with an entire purchase coupon. DEAL! They are perfect for holding all of our DVDs and our DVD player.

This awesome antique toy phone Steve and I discovered while on our day trip last month. The box is one I had that I painted with chalkboard paint.

These are all books I had. Camera for $5 last weekend. Spheres I made and featured HERE.

This cigar box I scored last weekend as well. Marked for $20 at the antique shop, I offered $10, she agreed. Woohoo! Perfect spot for the remotes and incredibly cool. 

All in all, a BIG success! It was surely a labor of love though. It took more time, more money, more stress, less sleep and a smidge of disagreeing (only natural right?) to get it done, but in the end, it is even better than I thought. 100% custom, totally unique, and crafted by hand by my amazing Stevie-Poo (sorry babe). 

Maybe I'll get more into the construction of it later (including more photos once we paint more than just that one wall), but for now, that's all folks! What's your favorite element/piece??

Oh, and a before and after, just for fun.

BEFORE

AFTER

6 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower (and fan!) and I just wanted to say that these turned out amazing! You're inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of it!!! You guys are so talented. I wish I could get my hubby to do amazing stuff like that. Yes, the gray walls are awesome. I'm doing some gray wall painting this weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is amazing!! i've fallen in love with your style - thanks for sharing it! my husband and i just moved and our new place has a huge wall, and this type of shelving would be perfect for it! do you have a more specific diy instructions on how to make this?? what type of pipes, exactly did you use?
    also, our new place has carpet in the room i'd want to put this in - do you think we could still replicate this look even though we couldn't drill the pipes into the floor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No I haven't done a more in-depth how to. Sorry about that. They are galvanized black pipes from Lowes or Home Depot. Some stuff you'd use for gas lines and such. and yes, I am sure you could do it over carpet. You could still screw into carpet anyways, if you wanted to. Good luck!!

      Delete
  4. these shelves are fabulous Heather! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love them! What color stain did you use?
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!